Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO)
The Vision of AFDO
AFDO is an international leader and trusted resource for building consensus and promoting uniformity on public health and consumer protection issues related to the regulation of foods, drugs, devices, cosmetics and consumer products.
The AFDO Mission
The Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO), established in 1896, successfully fosters uniformity in the adoption and enforcement of food, drug, medical devices, cosmetics and product safety laws, rules, and regulations.
AFDO and its six Regional Affiliates provide the mechanism and the forum where regional, national, and international issues are deliberated and resolved uniformly to provide the best public health and consumer protection in the most expeditious and cost effective manner. AFDO Accomplishes its Mission By:
- Promoting education, communication and cooperation among government, industry and consumers.
- Fostering understanding and cooperation between industry, regulators and consumers.
- Promoting the adoption and uniform enforcement of laws and regulations at all levels of government.
- Providing guidance and training programs for regulatory officials and the regulated industry, to promote nationally and internationally uniform inspections, analyses, interpretations and investigations.
- Identifying and resolving inconsistencies in consumer and public health protection laws, regulations, standards and policies.
- Providing a permanent working committee structure to research current issues, obtain input from interested parties and produce recommendations for action.
- Developing model laws, regulations and guidance documents and seeking their adoption throughout the United States.
- Conducting an Annual Educational Conference, where for over a century, AFDO has provided the opportunity for individuals from government, industry, and the public to participate, listen, and learn valuable information and develop initiatives concerning food, drug, medical device, cosmetic and product safety issues.
AFDO Lab Committee
The Laboratory, Science and Technology Committee provides the resources to AFDO of laboratory and research scientists and has the following mandates:
- Determine needs of laboratories supporting regulatory function and recommend the means of meeting those needs.
- Provide information to regulatory and enforcement personnel to enhance their knowledge and understanding of the changing and frequently complex scientific nature involved in regulatory work.
- Promote communications, coordination, and the mutual assistance of federal, state, and local government laboratories and industrial laboratories.
- Provide consulting and special project services to AFDO and regulatory agencies.